$1.75 Million Car Accident Settlement
Note: The recoveries in these cases are not necessarily indicative of recoveries in similar cases in the future, since each case must be decided on its own facts and circumstances.
- Settlement: $1.25 Million
- Case Name: Lassiter v. Hughes
- Case type: Automobile accident
- Court: U.S. District Court, Richmond
- Attorney: Craig B. Davis, Richmond
- Summary:The 75-year-old plaintiff was struck from behind at a high rate of speed by a full size pick-up truck after he slowed for backed up traffic. Liability was never contested, as the defendant left a note for the plaintiff at the hospital, in which he admitted fault for the accident and expressed his remorse. The plaintiff suffered multiple internal injuries, a spinal fracture and a traumatic brain injury.Prior to the accident, he had been extremely active and was performing daily farm work. He made an exceptional physical recovery and discontinued treatment for his cognitive impairment. No specific future medical treatment could be attributed to the accident even though plaintiff’s physicians agreed the trauma exacerbated pre-existing conditions.The case settled for available coverage limits, which included both liability and umbrella policies maintained by the defendant’s parents.
Million Dollar Settlements of 2012
Virginia Lawyers Weekly presented their survey of “Million Dollar Settlements of 2012,” their annual compilation of big settlements from across the commonwealth.
Criteria for the list are simple:
- The settlement must be for at least $1 million.
- The settlement was reached in calendar year 2012.
- The settlement involved a dispute with a strong Virginia component.
The 2012 survey features 52 settlements in total, and our firm had three as follows:
- $7.75 Million Slip & Fall Settlement
- $6.234 Million Workers’ Comp Settlement
- $1.25 Million Automobile Accident Settlement