In summertime, many think of pleasant driving conditions and look forward to family day trips and vacations. Unfortunately, summertime can be an extremely dangerous time on the roadway due to numerous factors that are not present at other times of the year. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, July and August are the deadliest months to drive, with an average of 116 deaths per day. The next most dangerous months are June, October, and September. The Fourth of July holds a higher death toll with 161 deaths in motor vehicle crashes.
In light of these statistics, it is important to be aware of the risks and understand your rights should something happen to you or a loved one on the roadway this summer. You may have a personal injury claim for any damage or injury you experience due to the negligence of others. The attorneys at Emroch & Kilduff will review the facts of your case at no cost to you and let you know whether we believe you have a claim. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at (804) 358-1568 or contact us online.
Summertime Potentially Dangerous Situations
Unlike other times of the year, the increase in temperature and number of drivers on the road can create potentially dangerous situations. It’s important to stay alert to summertime road conditions and be prepared for some of the following scenarios that you may face:
- Summer vacation for students – Teen drivers with less experience driving can make mistakes and put everyone on the road at risk.
- Road congestion – An increase in travelers leads to road congestion and can create difficult driving conditions for vacationers on unfamiliar roads and possibly driving distracted referencing GPS and local landmarks.
- Vehicle malfunctions – Engine failure, A/C malfunctions, and tire blowouts due to heat waves and an overall increase in temperature.
- Construction zones – Warmer weather lends itself to more road construction and maintenance creating narrow shoulders, rough pavement, re-routing signs, slower travel and numerous other elements that require close attention to the roadway.
- Motorcycle and bicycles – A bigger presence of cyclists on the road requires special attention to lane changes and general awareness of your surroundings.
Considering what you may encounter on the roadway during the summer can help you avoid various areas of congestion to stay safe and enjoy the beautiful weather. Should you or a loved one face a dangerous situation resulting in damage or injury, you may have a claim to recover compensation.
Contact a Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer Today
You may be dealing with one or more of the dangers that come with traveling during the summer, resulting in a car or motorcycle accident or injury from one of the situations listed above. An unexpected traumatic event due to summer driving conditions may leave you feeling unsure of what steps to take following the incident. The attorneys at Emroch & Kilduff can help you consider any claims you may have and recover the most damages possible for the circumstances of your case. Contact our experienced Virginia personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation to understand your rights. Call (804) 358-1568 or submit our online contact form today.