Edward McNelis is an experienced trial lawyer who has focused on medical malpractice cases since 1993. He has tried over 100 cases to verdict while representing both patients and healthcare providers. He has been listed in Best Lawyers since 2015 and has been named one of Virginia’s Legal Elite for the past four years. Before joining Emroch and Kilduff, Mr. McNelis was a shareholder in one of the preeminent healthcare litigation firms in Virginia and was a co-leader of the firm’s healthcare litigation group.
Previously, Mr. McNelis served as a Judge Advocate for 27 years in the U.S. Army and retired at the rank of Colonel after serving as the State Judge Advocate General for Virginia for several years.
Mr. McNelis has litigated hundreds of multimillion-dollar cases not only in Virginia, but in numerous state and federal courts nationwide. His primary areas of focus are medical malpractice, civil rights cases (including cases involving prisoners and inmates), and personal injury.
Mr. McNelis has lectured in the areas of medical malpractice, civil rights, federal evidence, and military law.
- Pennsylvania, 1989
- Virginia, 1992
- West Virginia, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg Virginia, 1989 J.D.
- The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 1982 B.S.
- The United States Army Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, KS 1999
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- American Association for Justice
- The American Legion
- Best Lawyers 2012-present
- Top-Ten Defense Verdicts in Malpractice 2014-2021
- Virginia State Judge Advocate General 2009-2016
- U.S. Army Legion of Merit Medal 2016
- U.S. Army Meritorious Service Ribbon
- U.S. Army Commendation Medal
- U.S. Army Achievement Medal
- U.S. Army Overseas Service Ribbon