From amazing historical sites to venues offering art and literature and the city’s vibrant nightlife, Richmond offers plenty for residents and visitors to see and do, and taxi cab companies that happily provide transportation for your day out. However, when a taxi causes an accident on one of Richmond’s notoriously busy roadways, it may leave customers and other motorists injured and needing assistance. Here are answers to some questions we hear most often about Richmond taxi accidents.
What is the process for seeking compensation after a Richmond taxi accident?If a Richmond taxi accident injured you and someone else caused it, call us. We can help you seek compensation for the expenses and impacts of your injury.
What kind of compensation can I receive for injuries I sustained in a Richmond taxi accident?Individuals whom a Richmond taxi accident injured can seek compensation for the expenses of the injury and the impacts of the injury on their quality of life. Some expenses and impacts commonly claimed in these cases include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
How long do I have to file a taxi accident lawsuit in Richmond?All states have a statute of limitations on personal injury cases, which is a deadline by which you must have your lawsuit filed in court to have the court consider your claim. In Virginia, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim after a taxi accident is generally two years from when the accident occurred.
How do I determine who was liable for my Richmond taxi accident?When individuals think about legal responsibility for injuries sustained in a taxi accident, the common scenario that comes to mind is an injured passenger in an accident caused by a taxi driver. We find this scenario in many taxi accidents. In this case, you can often show that the taxi driver caused it. We can also investigate whether liability lies with the company that employs the driver and must ensure that they are properly licensed, insured, vetted, and trained to handle the rigors of the job. Other scenarios that can be present in a taxi accident include:
- Accidents in which the driver of another motor vehicle injures the taxi driver and/or his or her passenger.
- Accidents in which a taxi strikes a pedestrian or bicyclist.
- Accidents in which a defective auto part on any vehicle caused a collision involving a taxi and injured someone.
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care. Duty of care simply refers to the actions that a reasonable person would take in a given set of circumstances to protect the health and property of others. Generally, all roadway users owe a duty to operate their motor vehicles safely and legally.
- There was a breach in the duty of care. The at-fault party took an action that violated the duty of care. This can include unsafe or illegal driving behaviors such as speeding, driving while impaired, or distracted driving.
- The breach resulted in an accident that caused you to become injured and to suffer financial and psychological impacts.
How can an attorney from Emroch & Kilduff help me with my case?Being in a motor vehicle accident is often an overwhelming situation. Not only are you recovering from painful injuries and perhaps even adjusting to a dramatically different life than before your accident. In addition, you likely have real and serious concerns about your ability to pay for your expenses, particularly if your injury requires you to miss a lot of work or prevents you from performing the duties of your job. The experienced accident attorneys at Emroch & Kilduff can ensure your right to seek the maximum amount of compensation available in your case. Those services include:
- A free case evaluation, which when you meet with an attorney to obtain answers to the legal questions you have about your case, learn more about the personal injury claims process, and more about the services Emroch & Kilduff provides.
- Determining who the liable parties are and the insurance policies you can access to provide your compensation.
- Establishing a value to your claim based on the impacts and expenses you have already endured because of your injury, as well as those you will likely encounter.
- Negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance provider to garner a fair settlement offer on your behalf.
- Guidance about accepting or rejecting offered settlements.
- Timely filing of your court-required paperwork within the state’s statute of limitations.
- Collection of evidence and witness testimony needed to prove your case in court.
- In lieu of a fair settlement offer, litigation services, including the delivery of opening and closing statements, the presentation of evidence, and the examination of witnesses.
- Assistance collecting your settlement or award.